While many have nicknamed this river “Shadowy St. Joe,” we think a more appropriate moniker for this gem is the “Surprising St. Joe.” The river’s deep, serene waters near Lake Coeur d’Alene offer no hint at the heart-pounding excitement waiting a mere 90 miles upstream. As the canyon walls narrow at this point, the water gushes through the restricted course, creating explosive rapids. Plentiful rocks and holes make the course challenging in areas, forcing rafters to keep their eyes sharp and their paddles ready.
After an adrenaline-filled morning, we’ll enjoy a brief respite in the form of a bountiful lunch at the river’s edge before continuing downstream for more surprises on this playful river. Our trip on the “Surprising St. Joe” covers between 12-16 miles of river, depending on the water level. Besides the thrill of the rapids, visitors to St. Joe are treated to magnificent scenery along the way. Majestic cedars frame the river water, which is so crystal clear that you’ll catch a glimpse of trout darting beneath us while we navigate some of the calmer waters.
What to Bring:
- Sunglasses with retaining head strap - such as "Chums"
- Swimsuit and/or quick dry top and bottoms
- Tennis shoes or sport sandals with straps (No flip flops)
- Personal water bottle
- Waterproof camera (optional)
- Towel for the end of the day (optional)
- Polypropylene long underwear or non-cotton base layer for under shorts on cold days.
- We will provide you with a wetsuit, fleece, splash jacket, and booties.
*Please note we require a minimum of 6 guests to run a trip. If you have less than 6 in your party, however, you can still join in the fun! We'll be sure to place you with another group in order to confirm your trip.